Choosing Dental Implants
Dental Restoration Options for Missing Teeth Patients in San Diego & El Cajon
Missing teeth can be a big problem for your smile, putting you at risk for conditions like gum disease and tooth decay. Underneath the surface of your smile, even more damage may take place with bone loss in the jaw. By choosing dental implants to restore your smile, you can avoid these oral health concerns and preserve the natural beauty of a healthy smile that you will want to show off. Under the care of San Diegoâs Center for Oral and Facial Surgery, you can discover all of the benefits of dental implants, an
affordable dentures alternative, which are discussed in further detail below.
Causes of Tooth Loss
People with full smiles tend to take their teeth for granted. Here are a few causes of tooth lossâsome of which are preventable.
- Advanced Periodontal Disease: It’s essential to visit your dentist every six months and brush and floss your teeth every day. If you don’t, your teeth will literally fall out. Bacteria will eventually cause the gums to recede until isn’t enough support to hold the tooth in place.
- Mouth Trauma: A sharp blow to the mouth can cause a tooth to become severely damaged or fall out completely. In some cases, an oral surgeon may be able to repair or reattach the tooth; in other cases, a dental implant may be necessary.
- Congenital Absence: Some people are born without one or more permanent teeth. A congenital absence may become clear after a baby tooth falls out and there’s no permanent tooth to replace it.
Why Choose Dental Implants?
Dental implants can be used to replace a single tooth or to serve as an alternative to complete dentures. With every case, dental implant treatment is highly customized to the patient, so these distinctive benefits remain intact in all cases.
- Ease of daily activities â When you have dental implants, you can eat, drink, and speak normally, since dental implants function just like the natural teeth. There is no added maintenance that comes with dental implants, so you can brush and floss normally to keep your smile healthy. With more conservative restorations like bridges and dentures, there may be a lot more difficulty in keeping your teeth clean and participating in regular activities.
- Natural appearance â Once your dental implants have healed and permanent prostheses have been put in place, no one will be able to tell the difference between implants and your natural teeth.
- Long-term durability â Dental implants rarely need to be replaced, since they bond directly to the jawbone. You may need to have the crowns or bridges on the surface replaced after about 10 years or so, but replacement procedures are very simple and low-stress.
- Preservation of bone tissue â The most distinct advantage that dentist implant offer over restorations that take place on the surface is preservation of the jaw bone beneath the gums. When teeth are missing, the jawbone underneath can recede, creating the potential for injuries or instability in the jaw. Dental implants replace the tooth roots, so bone recession is minimized.
What Is Life Like with Dental Implants?
The treatment process with dental implants does take several weeks, and it may involve surgical care with bone grafting. Still, the long-term payoff of tooth implants is well-worth the initial investment, because you are likely to experience fewer dental problems with implants in place.
If you are considering dental implants to restore your smile, schedule a consultation with the skilled surgical at the Center for Oral and Facial Surgery in San Diego or El Cajon. You can reach us by calling (619) 299-3320 today.